Don't feed the troll...

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jun 15 07:29:35 EDT 2013

Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> writes:

> On 15Jun2013 10:42, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> | The message sent to the individual typically arrives earlier (since
> | it is sent straight from you to the individual), and the message on
> | the forum arrives later (since it typically requires more
> | processing).
> |
> | But since we're participating in the discussion on the forum and not
> | in individual email, it is the later one we want, and the earlier
> | one should be deleted.
>
> They're the same message! (Delivered twice.) Replying to either is
> equivalent.

Wrong. They have the same Message-Id, but one of them is delivered via
the mailing list, and has the correct RFC 3696 fields in the header to
continue the discussion there.

The one delivered individually is the one to discard, since it was not
delivered via the mailing list.

> Bah. Plenty of us like both. In the inbox alerts me that someone
> replied to _my_ post, and in the python mail gets it nicely threaded.

Your mail client doesn't alert you to a message addressed to you?

> Sorry, I could have sworn you said you weren't using a mail client for
> this...

As I already said, this is demonstrating the fact that “reply to all” is
broken even for the use case of participating via email.

--
 \      “Software patents provide one more means of controlling access |
  `\      to information. They are the tool of choice for the internet |