Don't feed the troll...

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 05:30:59 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-15 03:09, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 15Jun2013 10:42, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> | "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at druid.net> writes:
> | Even for those who do participate by email, though, your approach is
> | broken:
> | > My answer is simple.  Get a proper email system that filters out
> | > duplicates.
> |
> | The message sent to the individual typically arrives earlier (since it
> | is sent straight from you to the individual), and the message on the
> | forum arrives later (since it typically requires more processing).
> |
> | But since we're participating in the discussion on the forum and not in
> | individual email, it is the later one we want, and the earlier one
> | should be deleted.
>
> They're the same message! (Delivered twice.) Replying to either is equivalent.
> So broadly I don't care which gets deleted; it works regardless.
>
> | So at the point the first message arrives, it isn't a duplicate. The
> | mail program will show it anyway, because “remove duplicates” can't
> | catch it when there's no duplicate yet.
>
> But it can when the second one arrives. This is true regardless of
> the delivery order.

Ben said that he doesn't use email for this list. Neither do I. We use one of
the newsgroup mirrors. If you Cc us, we will get a reply on the newsgroup (where
we want it) and a reply in our email (where we don't). The two systems cannot
talk to each other to delete the other message.

> | You do this by using your mail client's “reply to list” function, which
> | uses the RFC 3696 information in every mailing list message.
>
> No need, but a valid option.
>
> | Is there any mail client which doesn't have this function? If so, use
> | your vendor's bug reporting system to request this feature as standard,
> | and/or switch to a better mail client until they fix that.
>
> Sorry, I could have sworn you said you weren't using a mail client for this...

He's suggesting that *you* who are using a mail reader to use the "reply to
list" functionality or request it if it is not present.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco