PEP8 79 char max

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Wed Jul 31 14:37:22 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-31, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2013-07-31, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
>> Besides, after studying The Pragmatic Programmer I removed
>> nearly all the tables from my code and reference them (usually
>> with csv module) instead.
>
> I don't understand.  That just moves them to a different file
> -- doesn't it?  You've still got to deal with editing a large
> table of data (for example when I want to add instructions to
> your assembler).

Yes, but it is much easier to manipulate and view. I often still
edit the tables with Vim, but when I just want to view them I can
open them with Excel and get a very attractive display or
printout with minimal effort.

If it turns out I need to convert the table to some new format,
tools are abundant.

A couple of big wins:

It turned out later that some other entity needed the same data.

It has allowed me to add functionality to my program without even
editing the program.

Wouldn't be cool to add a new instruction by to my assembler,
including documentation, merely by editing a csv file? (I admit
that would need quite a bit of engineering to work, but it would
be cool.)

--
Neil Cerutti