PEP8 79 char max

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jul 31 14:56:48 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-31, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
> On 2013-07-31, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2013-07-31, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
>>> Besides, after studying The Pragmatic Programmer I removed
>>> nearly all the tables from my code and reference them (usually
>>> with csv module) instead.
>>
>> I don't understand.  That just moves them to a different file
>> -- doesn't it?  You've still got to deal with editing a large
>> table of data (for example when I want to add instructions to
>> your assembler).
>
> Yes, but it is much easier to manipulate and view. I often still
> edit the tables with Vim, but when I just want to view them I can
> open them with Excel and get a very attractive display or
> printout with minimal effort.

If you're good at Excel.  I use a spreadsheet at most a few times a
year, and it has been many years since I've used Excel.  I find that
doing _anything_ with Excel generally involves at least an hour of
hairpulling and swearing.  Libreoffice isn't much better.

> If it turns out I need to convert the table to some new format,
> tools are abundant.

True.

> A couple of big wins:
>
> It turned out later that some other entity needed the same data.

It would save the two seconds it takes to extract the lines from the
Python file.

> It has allowed me to add functionality to my program without even
> editing the program.

Now you're playing with semantics.  If I have a bunch of lines
containing values separated by commas, and I'm editting them, then it
makes no difference to me which file they're in -- I'm still adding
functionality be editing a table of data.

> Wouldn't be cool to add a new instruction by to my assembler,
> including documentation, merely by editing a csv file? (I admit
> that would need quite a bit of engineering to work, but it would
> be cool.)

Yes, that's cool, and that's pretty much how it works.  Those csv
lines just happen to be in the same file as the rest of the assembler
source rather than in a second file.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Hello?  Enema Bondage?
                                  at               I'm calling because I want