PEP8 79 char max

Devyn Collier Johnson devyncjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 18:30:43 EDT 2013

On 07/29/2013 05:42 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:24:51 -0400, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:
>
>> So, I can have a script with large lines and not negatively influence
>> performance on systems that do not use punch cards?
> You'll negatively influence anyone who has to read, or edit, your code.
> Very likely including you.
>
> But no, there's no meaningful performance difference based on line
> length. Interpreting the source code is not meaningfully affected by line
> length, and by the time the code is compiled and then run, line length is
> irrelevant.

Evidently, it is personal preference. I prefer to read computer code
like a book (yes, I am a weirdo (^u^)). The only time I exced 79
characters is when I write a set of commands that perform similar tasks.
I do not make too many lines over 79 char. Thanks everyone for the
comments and feedback.

Mahalo,

DCJ