Editor Ergonomics [was: Important features for editors]

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Jul 12 00:57:24 EDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 00:24:26 -0400, Steven D'Aprano

> Frankly, nothing comes even close to a real mouse for feedback and ease
> of use. Maybe a stylus. But that's it.

before tremors, I would agree with you. Stylus is amazingly good tool for
user interaction in a GUI. After tremors, not so much. For example, when
you sweep across the pad, you keep your mouse tip up, over and use
feedback from your mouse pointer to tell you when to touch down. My
tremors caused mouse clicks on tablet at about a 2 Hz rate. You can just
imagine it, hearing me move the stylus across the pad going: Tap tap tap
tap tap tap tap. Yeah, sucks to be me. A high-resolution mouse is
similarly problematic because I can make a gross motion to another part of
the screen. hitting a small target on a high-resolution screen is not easy
in the least and usually takes longer than the gross positioning across
the screen. What I would love is a mouse interface that uses a mouse
motion for a small range but a force vector like Mr. eraser head for
longer-range movement. Not exactly sure how the mouse would behave but
that's a very rough idea what would work well with my hands.