Editor Ergonomics [was: Important features for editors]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 00:34:05 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 01:50:17 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>> Text selection with a mouse is a different thing. Sometimes it's more
>>> convenient, sometimes it's not.
>>
>> As screens get larger and the amount of text on them increases, it's
>> likely to get more and more useful to use a mouse... but personally, I
>> still find the switch-to-mouse operation so clunky on anything except a
>> Thinkpad that I'll use the keyboard even if it's a bit slower. (Why are
>> Thinkpads different? Because the mouse, which is excellent, is right
>> under my fingers, between G/H/B.
>
> You mean those horrible nipple things?
>
> Ewwww. Ewwww. Damn things get the tactile feedback *completely* wrong.
> They're even worse than those awful little mousepads that you stroke.
>
> Frankly, nothing comes even close to a real mouse for feedback and ease
> of use. Maybe a stylus. But that's it.

I would guess that you used a Dell one. They're far FAR worse. We have
Dell laptops at work and I use external mice with them all. The IBM
trackpoint is far better. I can game with a trackpoint, but when I
built a Windows 7 desktop box for Alice, I had to go buy a high
precision mouse just to be able to game properly.

ChrisA