Editor Ergonomics [was: Important features for editors]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jul 12 00:24:26 EDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 01:50:17 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Text selection with a mouse is a different thing. Sometimes it's more
>> convenient, sometimes it's not.
>
> As screens get larger and the amount of text on them increases, it's
> likely to get more and more useful to use a mouse... but personally, I
> still find the switch-to-mouse operation so clunky on anything except a
> Thinkpad that I'll use the keyboard even if it's a bit slower. (Why are
> Thinkpads different? Because the mouse, which is excellent, is right
> under my fingers, between G/H/B.

You mean those horrible nipple things?

Ewwww. Ewwww. Damn things get the tactile feedback *completely* wrong.
They're even worse than those awful little mousepads that you stroke.

Frankly, nothing comes even close to a real mouse for feedback and ease
of use. Maybe a stylus. But that's it.

--
Steven