Python list code of conduct

Steve Simmons square.steve at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 10:18:06 EDT 2013

On 03/07/2013 12:50, rusi wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:09:35 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:
>> Dennis Lee Bieber writes:
>>
>>> So who would enforce any rules?
>> Ideally, this community is healthy enough for us to enforce the code of
>> conduct of our host, through social convention among us all.
> Thanks Ben for that.
> Lets not stymie Steve Simmons original suggestion for a CoC by making it into a formal CoC and then saying its impossible.
>
> There is a good deal of informal enforcement already. Consider eg:
> - Mark's footnote reminding about GG problems and their solutions <link>
> - Steven's brusque 'cut-the-crap' type responses
> - Your own prompt STOPs to racist/sexist etc posts
> etc
>
> So we may take and welcome Steve Simmons' call to expand that list.
> I certainly welcome the suggestion.
Thanks Rusi - and everyone else that provided feedback.

I understand (and had already anticipated) that this type of group can't
and probably shouldn't be moderated in the more draconian sense of the
word but there's no reason why we couldn't create some behavioural and
technical guidelines.  I had it in mind to move to a few (?!) paragraphs
that read well when considered as a single document but that were also
suitable to cut'n'paste into a response - much as Mark puts his GG
warning in every mail.

The aim would be to put a considered response in a first reply that
tells the OP 'this is what you need to do to get a sensible answer'.  We
have this for GG & code fragments and I see no reason why we can't have
it for bad language; bad attitude; unreasonable expectations; thread
high-jacking; top posting; and all the other sins we expect Noobs (and
some long standing members!) to avoid.

I guess I should have said this up front but let me say it now:  I
completely 'get' that this won't fix the Trolls or the dyed-in-the-wool
pedants or recidivist high-jackers but it may put some buffering between:
Newb:   "I want you to do my homework and I have to give it in tomorrow
morning"
and
Pythonista:  "you're a dick"

If there's enough support for the general idea, I'm happy to make a
decent sized contribution but if there isn't - Nuff said.

Steve