Python list code of conduct

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 2 20:42:21 EDT 2013

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:51:38 +0100, Steve Simmons wrote:

> Erm,
>
> It probably isn't the best time to start this post but I was
> wondering...
>
> Does this list have a code of conduct or a netiqeutte (sp?)
> statement/requirement?
>
> If not, should it?

I *knew* this would be raised. You are right to do so, of course, but I
really, really, REALLY wasn't looking forward to it.

No, this list does not have a Code of Conduct, apart from the informal
conventions of netiquette (most of which can be summed up with "don't be
a dick") that most public forums populated by adults[1] operate under.

In practical terms, it *cannot* have a Code of Conduct enforced, because
it is an unmoderated list. Anyone can join. Anyone can post. It exists as
both email and news.

Do we need one? No, I don't think so. I'm philosophically opposed to
formalising the idea of "polite behaviour" in a Code of Conduct for
various reasons, but even putting that aside I have been here for at
least 7 years, and I've seen Xah Lee come and go (and come, and go...)
and Ranting Rick in full-on troll mode, and spammers, and endless heated
discussions about fine semantics of some aspect of Python's object model.
People come and go, but the community goes on, and we have weathered all
of those and we will weather this damned argument over whether or not it
is appropriate to flame help-vampires or not.

[1] I refer to state of maturity, not chronological age. Some people are
adult at ten, others can live to ninety and never be worthy of the term.

--
Steven