python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 21:58:27 EDT 2013

On 4 July 2013 12:19, Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> Op 04-07-13 01:40, Joshua Landau schreef:
>
>> Bear in mind that if the way you were acting was all in my "with
>> trepidation" category, I would likely have not spoken up. I believe
>> you crossed a lot further beyond that line.
>
> I had to look up "trepidation" and the translation I got from my
> dictionary was not 100% helpful. Would "hesitation" or "wariness"
> be a good substitute.

Yes; it's along the lines of "hesitation /due/ to wariness".

> Can we go back to my first entry in this thread? I would like to
> know whether you think that already crossed the line or if that
> would fall under your "with trepidation" category and I crossed
> the line later.
>
> I think the relevant part is this:
>
> ] Maybe that way he'll learn that if he doesn't want to be considered
> ] an incompetent inconsiderate jerk, he shouldn't behave like one.

If my records are accurate*, by the time I responded (excluding that
to Mark Lawrence), you had also said:

> Should we particularly care about Nikos's feelings?

> May that way he'll learn that if he doesn't
> want to be considered an incompetent inconsiderate jerk, he shouldn't
> behave like one.

> You'll notice I don't judge all newbies as
> incompetent jerks. Just you

> I am judging you for
> behaving liken an asshole and trying to deny it.

> you were behaving like an asshole

> You poor thing.
(Obvious hostile sarcasm in context)

And quite a few repeats of the same things.

* I thought I stepped in earlier, but I'm not going to argue with
GMail's history.

This quote:

> Maybe that way he'll learn that if he doesn't want to be considered
> an incompetent inconsiderate jerk, he shouldn't behave like one.

in solidarity -- although calling someone "incompetent" and,
especially, a "jerk" is unwanted -- would probably not have made me
respond. However, it is definitely past the "with trepidation"
category.