python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Thu Jul 4 07:19:26 EDT 2013

Op 04-07-13 01:40, Joshua Landau schreef:

> On 3 July 2013 11:01, Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>
>> This is not an attack of character. Level of skill/competence is
>> not in general seen as a character trait.
> I disagree. I'm not sure how to argue this, rather than point out that
> by "character trait" I'm not talking about "intrinsic trait" but
> rather "revolving around who you are". The alternative I posed is
> talking about things revolving around specific actions that you have
> taken.

All right I can work with that. However I get the impression what you
are talking about is then not limited to character traits but can be
applied to other traits too. It is unlikely to come up in this group
but I guess you would be opposed in a similar way to someone being
called a weakling after it became clear he was not physically fit for
a particular task.

>> But how do I describe this in one word? What conclusion am I allowed
>> to make from all this?
> That it's worth taking a little more time doing things if it makes
> sure you aren't harming the person on the other end.

I agree to a certain extend. But sometimes I seem to come up (not only
on usenet but in real life too) to people who seem to be oblivious to
the message you are sending until you cast it into words that sting.

I have been guily of such behaviour myself, not really reacting to the
warnings from my partner until they were termed in a way that was hard
to ignore.

And sure, there is a serious risk of a hostile reaction, but getting
a hostile reaction doesn't contradict that it was effective. People
often do change their behaviour even if there first reaction was hostile
and denial.

So I'll agree to doing as little harm as possible and that there is
a level of harm that shouldn't be crossed. But I won't go as far as
making sure no harm is done.

>> [examples]
> Bear in mind that if the way you were acting was all in my "with
> trepidation" category, I would likely have not spoken up. I believe
> you crossed a lot further beyond that line.

I had to look up "trepidation" and the translation I got from my
dictionary was not 100% helpful. Would "hesitation" or "wariness"
be a good substitute.

Can we go back to my first entry in this thread? I would like to
know whether you think that already crossed the line or if that
would fall under your "with trepidation" category and I crossed
the line later.

I think the relevant part is this:

] Maybe that way he'll learn that if he doesn't want to be considered
] an incompetent inconsiderate jerk, he shouldn't behave like one.

--
Antoon Pardon