python adds an extra half space when reading from a string or list

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 21:56:46 EDT 2013

On 07/03/2013 05:12 PM, Joshua Landau wrote:
> On 3 July 2013 02:21,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>[...]
>> The reality is that few of the people at whom such statements
>> are aimed will make such fine distinction.  If you use negatively
>> judgemental statements against other posters, a significant
>> number of them will respond to you in kind.
>
> I think most people will take "you are stupid" and "what you've done
> is stupid" to have very different levels of hostility, even though the
> same thing to be said has been expressed. That does not mean people
> will not take offense at the second, but they will take less. I
> believe that this does generalise.

I think the first is perceived as more hostile not because
of any character vs behavior difference but simply because it
is broader -- the implication is that most anything done
by the person will be stupid rather than one specific action
for the second.

If one compares "you're stupid to have done that" (character)
vs "what you've done is stupid" (behavior), I am not sure
there is much difference; at least I don't think I'd make
much distinction.

IOW, I maintain that it is the "stupid" part that results
in the major part of the recipient's negative reaction.

Of course since neither of us are psychologists this is all
pretty speculative.

> Note that I am not advocating calling people's actions stupid, as it
> is still just a harsher way of saying "you've made a mistake".

Agreed, 100%.