New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Mitya Sirenef msirenef at lightbird.net
Wed Jan 2 17:48:45 EST 2013

On 01/02/2013 04:33 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 01/01/2013 11:43 AM, Mitya  Sirenef wrote:
 >> Therefore, deleting 3 WORDs is 3daW (mnemonic: del a WORD 3 times).
 >
 > Interesting. I typically use just d3w. 3daW seems to delete 3 lines
 > for me, the same result as d3<enter>. Another favorite command is d or
 > c followed by a number and then the right arrow key, for manipulating
 > letters instead of words.

d3w is a different command, it means delete 3 words *ahead* from cursor.
e.g.:

func() lst[] lst2[ind] foo bar

Now put the cursor on letter 'c' (4th from beginning) and use the
command 3daW, it should delete the 3 WORDs, leaving just the 'foo bar'.

 > In any case, I can be way more productive with just a few commands
 > (maybe 3 or 4 commands or concepts) in Vim than in almost any GUI
 > editor. In my experience, Vim users almost always find this to be true
 > for them as well. Vim really hits the sweet spot for productivity and
 > usability. The only thing about Vim that I find clunky is how code
 > folding macros work, and also code completion hacks (which I have never
 > needed anyway).

Vim does have a lot of flaws, alas. The highest ones on my list is that
python integration (as a scripting language) is wonky; python can't be
run alongside Vim process; double-escaping is terrible (stuff like
\<lt>blah); process of development is slowed down too much by
over-emphasis on backwards compatibility; the way arguments and counts
are implemented between mappings, commands and functions is byzantine
and way overcomplicated..

That said, Vim is still 1k% better than emacs and 3k% better than
anything else :-).

It's really odd that large companies like google, microsoft, ibm,
facebook don't all chip in to give Bram a few million to hire a few
people and knock the Vim out into the stratosphere, given how much these
companies' employees used Vim for many hours, daily, to great benefit
for said companies. Oh well.

  -m