New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Wayne Werner wayne at waynewerner.com
Wed Jan 2 21:37:54 EST 2013

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 01/01/2013 11:43 AM, Mitya Sirenef wrote:
>> Therefore, deleting 3 WORDs is 3daW (mnemonic: del a WORD 3 times).
>
> Interesting.  I typically use just d3w.  3daW seems to delete 3 lines
> for me, the same result as d3<enter>.  Another favorite command is d or
> c followed by a number and then the right arrow key, for manipulating
> letters instead of words.

Right arrow and not l? Surely you jest! ;)

> In any case, I can be way more productive with just a few commands
> (maybe 3 or 4 commands or concepts) in Vim than in almost any GUI
> editor.  In my experience, Vim users almost always find this to be true
> for them as well.  Vim really hits the sweet spot for productivity and
> usability.  The only thing about Vim that I find clunky is how code
> folding macros work, and also code completion hacks (which I have never
> needed anyway).

Yep. That's how I feel. I had used ViEmu in Visual Studio for coding in .NET at
work - but I found that the buffers & macros were more powerful. So now I do
most of my programming in Vim, and only head to VS if I need autocomplete or
some of it's auto-generation tools.

(I'm even writing this email in Vim as my external editor from alpine ;)
-W