New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:33:22 EST 2013

On 01/01/2013 11:43 AM, Mitya Sirenef wrote:
> Therefore, deleting 3 WORDs is 3daW (mnemonic: del a WORD 3 times).

Interesting.  I typically use just d3w.  3daW seems to delete 3 lines
for me, the same result as d3<enter>.  Another favorite command is d or
c followed by a number and then the right arrow key, for manipulating
letters instead of words.

In any case, I can be way more productive with just a few commands
(maybe 3 or 4 commands or concepts) in Vim than in almost any GUI
editor.  In my experience, Vim users almost always find this to be true
for them as well.  Vim really hits the sweet spot for productivity and
usability.  The only thing about Vim that I find clunky is how code
folding macros work, and also code completion hacks (which I have never
needed anyway).