PyWart: Namespace asinitiy and the folly of the global statement

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:32:36 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM, alex23 <wuwei23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 9, 2:25 pm, Michael Torrie <torr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Rick seems to know his stuff
> >> about Tk programming, but his knowledge of programming language theory
> >> and formal computing seems quite informal.
> >
> > Not informal, "intuited". If he doesn't already know something, it's
> > apparently not important.
>
> I wonder how he learned about Tk. To be quite frank, I've not found
> tkinter to be particularly intuitive, and I've been doing GUI
> programming since the early 90s (with a wide variety of toolkits).

Perhaps that's your problem ;).  Tkinter was the first--and only--GUI
toolkit I learned [1] (I do almost exclusively CLI, and GUI only for fun --
and I program as a result of the work I do).  Having no previous knowledge
of any other GUI toolkit (and really only writing 2 or 3 _real_ GUIs
total), it wasn't hard to pick up enough from effbot/stackoverflow/tkinter
documentation to get a working GUI with (what I think is) decent code
organization.

Just my personal experience.

--Jason

[1] Tkinter is part of the stdlib, and I try to minimize external
dependencies