PEPs should be included with the documentation download

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed Aug 21 13:55:44 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 13:32, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Aseem Bansal <asmbansal2 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Currently the documentation download includes a lot of things but PEPs are not its part. I wanted to suggest that PEPs should be included in the download. They are very much relevant to Python.
>
> The PEPs are kinda like the specs that Python is built from, rather
> than being end-user documentation; certainly most, if not all, are
> unnecessary to most use of Python. There's really no point downloading
> a whole pile of rejected PEPs as part of the crucial user-facing docs.
>
> Also, how many people actually depend on the downloadable
> documentation, rather than simply reading things online?

If you've taken your laptop to somewhere there's no wi-fi, it's nice to
have offline help.

I think, though, that if there's any useful information that can be
obtained by reading accepted PEPs but not the documentation, or if
things are explained less clearly than in the PEPs, that's a bug in the
documentation, and should be remedied by adding to the documentation.