Interactrive Python under Cygwin in Win7

David Robinow drobinow at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:30:57 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid>wrote:

> I just installed ActiveState 2.7 64-bit on a Windows 7 machine running
> a current version of Cygwin.  While python programs (both GUI and
> text-mode) run fine, I'm unable to use Python interactively from
> either the Cygwin terminal or in an ssh session.  I tried adding the
> "-u" option, but that makes no difference.  Interactive C-Python just
> hangs on startup.
>
> Is this bug specific to ActiveState Python, or is it also present in
> the vanilla C-Python build for Windows?

It's present in the "vanilla" build. I assume you're running mintty as I
do.
I just use the cygwin build for fooling around with python, and [WARNING:
hold your nose] the cmd shell when I need Windows Python.
You can also use the (old-fashioned?) cygwin.bat do start cygwin which
doesn't give you as nice a terminal but does allow you to run bash and
"/c/Python27/Python" interactively.

Another option, which I just discovered, is bash under msys. It's been a
while since I've used it so I can't remember the pro and con but you can
run an interactive Windows python.