Interactrive Python under Cygwin in Win7

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Apr 8 16:39:21 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-08, David Robinow <drobinow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid>wrote:
>
>> I just installed ActiveState 2.7 64-bit on a Windows 7 machine running
>> a current version of Cygwin.  While python programs (both GUI and
>> text-mode) run fine, I'm unable to use Python interactively from
>> either the Cygwin terminal or in an ssh session.  I tried adding the
>> "-u" option, but that makes no difference.  Interactive C-Python just
>> hangs on startup.
>>
>> Is this bug specific to ActiveState Python, or is it also present in
>> the vanilla C-Python build for Windows?
>
> It's present in the "vanilla" build. I assume you're running mintty
> as I do.

That's what I usually run when I'm not ssh'ed in.

> I just use the cygwin build for fooling around with python, and
> [WARNING: hold your nose] the cmd shell when I need Windows Python.

Yea, that's what I finally fell back on.  At least it has command line
recall/editing, so it could be worse.  I do almost all of my
development on Linux and rarely do anything interactive under
Windows, but once in a while it would be handy.

> You can also use the (old-fashioned?) cygwin.bat do start cygwin
> which doesn't give you as nice a terminal but does allow you to run
> bash and "/c/Python27/Python" interactively.
>
> Another option, which I just discovered, is bash under msys. It's been a
> while since I've used it so I can't remember the pro and con but you can
> run an interactive Windows python.

Oh yea, I had forgotten about msys.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm having an
                                  at               emotional outburst!!