Does python have built command for package skeleton creation?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 22:00:15 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 03:44:55 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>> For a programming language with a lot of corporate use, Python already
>>> seems like it changes at the drop of a hat.
>>
>> Hang on, you're conflating the language and its implementation.
>
> No I'm not. CPython is the reference implementation of Python the
> language. There is no ISO standard for Python (nor is there likely to be
> any time soon) so Python the language is more-or-less what CPython the
> implementation does.

True, though not entirely; there are plenty of CPython behaviours that
aren't strictly specified, and other Pythons don't have to comply.

>> Fortunately it's
>> pretty easy to whip up your own Python straight from source and 'make
>> altinstall' to keep things happily parallel. You want faster releases?
>> You got 'em.
>
> But not faster than ≈18 months between minor releases. Not unless you
> fork and do it yourself.

Why wait for a release? Just build with whatever patches you want to
build with. That's what I do with a lot of oddments of software. Well,
actually, what I tend to do is simply build HEAD (or whatever hg calls
it) as of when I want it, and update whenever I feel like it. :)

ChrisA