Does python have built command for package skeleton creation?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 21 21:43:05 EDT 2012

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 03:44:55 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> But consider, C and C++ don't have minor releases *at all*. The last
>> versions of those two languages are C99 and C+98 -- that's FOURTEEN
>> YEARS since the last version of C++. And Java hasn't had a major
>> feature update since 2006.
>>
>> For a programming language with a lot of corporate use, Python already
>> seems like it changes at the drop of a hat.
>
> Hang on, you're conflating the language and its implementation.

No I'm not. CPython is the reference implementation of Python the
language. There is no ISO standard for Python (nor is there likely to be
any time soon) so Python the language is more-or-less what CPython the
implementation does.

[...]
> Python's release schedule is plenty fast enough. It's already
> outstripping the packagers in Debian and Red Hat.

And has for a long time, well back to Python 1.5 days if I remember
correctly.

> Fortunately it's
> pretty easy to whip up your own Python straight from source and 'make
> altinstall' to keep things happily parallel. You want faster releases?
> You got 'em.

But not faster than ≈18 months between minor releases. Not unless you
fork and do it yourself.

--
Steven