Does python have built command for package skeleton creation?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:44:55 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> But consider, C and C++ don't have minor releases *at all*. The last
> versions of those two languages are C99 and C+98 -- that's FOURTEEN YEARS
> since the last version of C++. And Java hasn't had a major feature update
> since 2006.
>
> For a programming language with a lot of corporate use, Python already
> seems like it changes at the drop of a hat.

Hang on, you're conflating the language and its implementation. C and
C++ don't have minor releases, because you're looking only at the
language. On the other hand, gcc has major.minor.revision releases,
because it's possible for the compiler to have trivial bugs that merit
a small bugfix, or minor changes that perhaps enhance the stdlib.

The way I see it, a Python minor release shouldn't normally be a
problem to an active developer, but is too big a change to push
quietly to active scripts. That's a lot smaller than a release of a
new C/C++ spec; more akin to the next version of Microsoft Visual C++,
which comes out every couple of years ish. And as DaveA (no relation
to me, but I love the coincidence of surname AND signature style)
pointed out, there have been C++ spec updates since 98.

Python's release schedule is plenty fast enough. It's already
outstripping the packagers in Debian and Red Hat. Fortunately it's
pretty easy to whip up your own Python straight from source and 'make
altinstall' to keep things happily parallel. You want faster releases?
You got 'em.

ChrisA