reportlab and python 3

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Tue Sep 18 05:04:04 EDT 2012

> A big yes and it is very easy. I assume you know how
> to write a plain text file with Python :-).
>
> Use your Python to generate a .tex file and let it compile
> with one of the pdf TeX engines.
>
> Potential problems:
> - It requires a TeX installation (a no problem).
> - Of course I requires some TeX knowledge. Learning it
> is not so complicate. Learn how to use TeX with a text
> editor and you will quickly understand what you have to
> program in Python. Bonus: you learn at the same time
> a good text editing engine.
>
> I can not figure out something more simple, versatile and
> powerful.
>
> jmf

This is a good idea. Thank you. I wanted to learn TeX anyway. The TeX
installation is problematic. I also want to use this under MS Windows.
Yes, I know here is MikTeX for Windows. But there is significant
difference. ReportLab can be embedded into a small program created with
py2exe. LaTeX on the other side is a 150MB separate installation package
that must be installed separately by hand.

But in my particular case, it is still a good solution.

Thanks,

    Laszlo