reportlab and python 3

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 07:17:19 EDT 2012

Le mardi 18 septembre 2012 11:04:19 UTC+2, Laszlo Nagy a écrit :
> > A big yes and it is very easy. I assume you know how
>
> > to write a plain text file with Python :-).
>

> > Use your Python to generate a .tex file and let it compile
>
> > with one of the pdf TeX engines.
>

> > Potential problems:
>
> > - It requires a TeX installation (a no problem).
>
> > - Of course I requires some TeX knowledge. Learning it
>
> > is not so complicate. Learn how to use TeX with a text
>
> > editor and you will quickly understand what you have to
>
> > program in Python. Bonus: you learn at the same time
>
> > a good text editing engine.
>

> > I can not figure out something more simple, versatile and
>
> > powerful.
>

> > jmf
>

> This is a good idea. Thank you. I wanted to learn TeX anyway. The TeX
>
> installation is problematic. I also want to use this under MS Windows.
>
> Yes, I know here is MikTeX for Windows. But there is significant
>
> difference. ReportLab can be embedded into a small program created with
>
> py2exe. LaTeX on the other side is a 150MB separate installation package
>
> that must be installed separately by hand.
>

> But in my particular case, it is still a good solution.
>

> Thanks,
>

>     Laszlo

I understood, you have Python on a platform and starting
from this you wish to create pdf files.
Obviously, embedding "TeX" is practically a no solution,
although distibuting a portable standalone TeX distribution
is a perfectly viable solution, especially on Windows!

To "I wanted to learn TeX anyway.":
I can only warmly recommend to start with one of the two
unicode compliant engines, LuaTeX or XeTeX.

jmf