SSH Connection with Python

Gelonida N gelonida at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 16:09:18 EDT 2012

On 10/28/2012 02:35 AM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 27Oct2012 14:18, Gelonida N <gelonida at gmail.com> wrote:
> | On 10/27/2012 02:21 AM, Roy Smith wrote:

> | > I'm running paramiko-1.7.6 with python 2.7.3 on my Ubunto Precise box.
> | > I'm reasonably sure all I did was "pip install paramiko".
> |
> | Apologies.  I failed to mention, that I was talking about Windows not Linux.
> |
> | I use Python for applications, that should work under Linux and under
> | Windows.
> |
> | > But, keep in mind that fabric depends on paramiko.  If you can't get
> | > paramiko installed, you probably can't get fabric either.
> | >
> | Thanks, that's good to know, so I don't have to bother looking at farbic
> | (at least not as solution on windows python 2.7 without having to try to
> | recompile pycrypto myself)
>
> Many years ago we ran an ssh executable on Windows; it was a tiny
> standalone kit consisting, IIRC, of the Cygwin libc and ssh. Or you
> could just install Cygwin...
>
> That would let you use Python's subprocess module to invoke ssh and
> dispatch your command.

On all my work PCs cygwin is installed.

However when packaging something with py2exe I'd really prefer to not
have to install additional .exe / .dll files just for the ssh client.
This is why I like the idea of Paramiko. which requires the crypto .dll,
but that's it.

The only thing I'm concerned about paramiko is, that I don't see any
activity on the paramiko site and that one library it depends on is not
available is windows binary package for newer versions of python.

For the time being I stick with paramiko as I'm still on py2.6, but I
wanted to have some feedback, whether this path can easily be followed
in the mid term future or whther I ahd to fall back to a minimalist set
of ssh executables / dlls and a subprocess wrapper.