Aggressive language on python-list

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Oct 18 01:29:58 EDT 2012

David,

While I acknowledge and appreciate your efforts to be less aggressive on
this list, I think you have crossed a line by forwarding the contents of
an obviously personal email containing CLEARLY PRIVATE MATTERS to a
public list without permission, without even anonymising it.

Not cool mate, not cool.

The first amendment doesn't excuse this. You don't get to shout "Fire!"
in a crowded theatre either.

I think you owe Wu Wei, and Alex, apologies.

Re-adding the list to a clearly Python-related question to the list is
marginally okay. (I normally wouldn't do it, but some people do.) Adding
the list to a personal comment is not.

And quite frankly, I sympathise with how hard your life has been, but
this isn't your personal support group. There is such a thing as too much
sharing.

My personal advice is that I think you need to take a break for a couple
of days and then come back focused on Python, rather than on defending
yourself against real or imagined slights. I'm not your dad and I'm not
sending you to your room, but sometimes a man has to know when it's best
to just walk away and let things cool off, regardless of who is right and
who is wrong.

--
Steven