pyw program not displaying unicode characters properly

Alain Ketterlin alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Sun Oct 14 13:19:33 EDT 2012

jjmeric <jjmeric at free.fr> writes:

> Our language lab at INALCO is using a nice language parsing and analysis
> program written in Python. As you well know a lot of languages use
> characters that can only be handled by unicode.
>
> Here is an example of the problem we have on some Windows computers.
> In the attached screen-shot (DELETED),

Usenet has no attachments. Place your document on some publicly
accessible web-servers, if needed.

> the bambara character (a sort of epsilon)  is displayed as a square.
>
> The fact that it works fine on some computers and fails to display the
> characters on others suggests that it is a user configuration issue:
> Recent observations: it's OK on Windows 7 but not on Vista computers,
> it's OK on some Windows XP computers, it's not on others Windows XP...

You need a font that has glyphs for all unicode characters (at least the
ones you use). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_font for a
start. I don't know enough about Windows to give you a name. Anyone?

-- Alain.

P/S: and this has not much to do with python, which will happily send
out any unicode char, and cannot know which ones your terminal/whatever
will be able to display