pyw program not displaying unicode characters properly

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Oct 14 17:01:03 EDT 2012

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 19:19:33 +0200, Alain Ketterlin wrote:

> Usenet has no attachments.

*snarfle*

You almost owed me a new monitor. I nearly sprayed my breakfast all over
it.

"Usenet has no attachments" -- that's like saying that the Web has no
advertisements. Maybe the websites you visit have no advertisements, but
there's a *vast* (and often disturbing) part of the WWW that has
advertisements, some sites are nothing but advertisements.

And so it is with Usenet, there is a vast (and often disturbing) area of
Usenet containing attachments, and often nothing but attachments. The
vast volume of all these attachments are such that it is getting hard to
find ISPs that provide free access to binary newsgroups, but some still
do, and dedicated for-fee Usenet providers do too.

--
Steven