pyw program not displaying unicode characters properly

jjmeric jjmeric at free.fr
Sun Oct 14 12:55:13 EDT 2012

Hi everybody !

Our language lab at INALCO is using a nice language parsing and analysis
program written in Python. As you well know a lot of languages use
characters that can only be handled by unicode.

Here is an example of the problem we have on some Windows computers.
In the attached screen-shot (DELETED),
the bambara character (a sort of epsilon)  is displayed as a square.

The fact that it works fine on some computers and fails to display the
characters on others suggests that it is a user configuration issue:
Recent observations: it's OK on Windows 7 but not on Vista computers,
it's OK on some Windows XP computers, it's not on others Windows XP...

On the computers where it fails, we've tried to play with options in the
International settings, but are not able to fix it.

Any idea that would help us go in the right direction, or just fix it,
is welcome !

Thanks!
I ni ce! (in bambara, a language spoken in Mali, West Africa)