Feedback on my python framework I'm building.

nbvfour at gmail.com nbvfour at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:24:04 EDT 2012

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:33:43 PM UTC-4, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Nice theory, but this is the bit that I fundamentally disagree with.
> Forcing programmers to work in one particular style is usually not the
> job of the language/framework/library. That should be up to the
> programmer, or at least the local style guide.

Have you ever read the zen of python? "Theres only one way to do it" is a core motto of the python language. In my opinion, this is the most important aspect of python and is what makes python so much better than PHP and perl and all the other "do it however you want, the more convoluted and obfuscated the better!" languages.

> I do like your plan of
> having identical interfaces to the same functionality (your example of
> web-based and command-line is particularly appealing to my personal
> tastes), but the same can usually be achieved with a well-built
> library. In fact, all you need to do is have your model as a simple
> Python module, and then the view and controller call on its functions.
>
> What does your framework offer over a basic system like that?

This "well built library" you mention basically describes my framework. You write a model method/function that takes data and then returns data. All giotto does is extract that data from the controller, pass it on to the model, then take the output of the model and pass it in to the view. You write the view, you write the model. Giotto provides the API for making al this happen. Giotto doesn't care if your model calls Postgres or Mysql or Redis or RabbitMQ, thats not of any concern to the framework.

The advantage of this is that the framework can 'mock' out the model layer very easily. For instance, your front end designers can work on the HTML without needing to run postgres, and the backend developers can work on the backend through the command line.