Feedback on my python framework I'm building.

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:33:40 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:18 AM,  <nbvfour at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:48:23 PM UTC-4, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> No, I don't, because I haven't tried to use it. But allow me to give
>> two examples, one on each side of the argument.
>>
>> The 'tee' utility is primarily for writing a pipe to disk AND to
>> further pipelining, for instance:
>
> Could you please spent 10 minutes to read through the tutorial?

A fair criticism, and I am duly chastised. Okay. Now reading through
your web site... alright, I'm back.

>>  This is why I say it's likely not a good thing that your framework
>> *forces* the separation of model/view/controller. You make it
>> impossible to temporarily ignore the framework.
>
> Exactly. When you 'break out of the framework' you pile on technical debt. I want to force developers to not do that.

Philosophy point 2: Giotto does force users to do things the “Giotto
way”. In other words, convention over configuration

Nice theory, but this is the bit that I fundamentally disagree with.
Forcing programmers to work in one particular style is usually not the
job of the language/framework/library. That should be up to the
programmer, or at least the local style guide. I do like your plan of
having identical interfaces to the same functionality (your example of
web-based and command-line is particularly appealing to my personal
tastes), but the same can usually be achieved with a well-built
library. In fact, all you need to do is have your model as a simple
Python module, and then the view and controller call on its functions.

What does your framework offer over a basic system like that?

ChrisA