GUI toolkits and dynamic table browser widget

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon May 21 22:37:05 EDT 2012

On 22/05/12 05:35, Sibylle Koczian wrote:
> So I suppose you're using Python 2 or that's acceptable for you at
> least. In this case I'd take a long look at Dabo: http://www.dabodev.com/
> That's based on wxPython but easier to use and explicitly made for
> database applications. Developers and mailing list are especially
> helpful and friendly.

I have investigated Dabo.

Dabo is OK but is like a big wizard.

You fix you underlying data structure then it creates basic menus,
data entry screens, etc. The basic stuff is OK but you need change the
underlying code to customize the screens and you are bound to use the
classes created by the developers (you can create you own but all sorts
of interactions can happen apparently, and although it can be done, care
needs to be taken to avoid conflicts -- the recommendation by the
developers to is use the existing classes whenever possible).

On top of this the project is not being developed any more. What is
there, is what is there. The developers occasionally jump on the forums
to propose a solution to an interesting problem but state that no
further development will be happening. The community is still active
however and there are a number of devotees.

Personally, when I reviewed it, I wanted to develop a different dialog
screen and database model than what Dabo is designed to address, which
meant that I required to butcher their code and classes to achieve what
I wanted. In my mind you are better starting from scratch using a
maintained library/toolkit, rather than creating a hybrid system with a
unmaintained project (that is unless you want to fork the project).

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides