GUI toolkits and dynamic table browser widget

Sibylle Koczian nulla.epistola at web.de
Wed May 23 09:54:31 EDT 2012

Am 22.05.2012 04:37, schrieb Simon Cropper:
> On 22/05/12 05:35, Sibylle Koczian wrote:
>> So I suppose you're using Python 2 or that's acceptable for you at
>> least. In this case I'd take a long look at Dabo: http://www.dabodev.com/
>> That's based on wxPython but easier to use and explicitly made for
>> database applications. Developers and mailing list are especially
>> helpful and friendly.
>
> I have investigated Dabo.
>
> Dabo is OK but is like a big wizard.
>
> You fix you underlying data structure then it creates basic menus,
> data entry screens, etc. The basic stuff is OK but you need change the
> underlying code to customize the screens and you are bound to use the
> classes created by the developers (you can create you own but all sorts
> of interactions can happen apparently, and although it can be done, care
> needs to be taken to avoid conflicts -- the recommendation by the
> developers to is use the existing classes whenever possible).
>
> On top of this the project is not being developed any more. What is
> there, is what is there. The developers occasionally jump on the forums
> to propose a solution to an interesting problem but state that no
> further development will be happening. The community is still active
> however and there are a number of devotees.

This looks to me more like a description of the Dabo Application wizard
which is just one possible way to start your Dabo application - not the
only way and not the preferred way.

And as far as I can see from change log and mailing list it isn't true
that Dabo isn't developed any more.

But it really can be difficult to do non standard things in a Dabo
application, that's quite right. On the other hand no GUI programming in
Python is exactly easy, is it?

Sibylle