bus errors when the network interface is reset?

David M Chess chess at us.ibm.com
Tue May 1 10:01:11 EDT 2012

We have a system running Python 2.6.6 under RHEL 6.1.  A bunch of
processes spend most of their time sitting in a BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer
waiting for requests.

Last night an update pushed out via xcat whimsically restarted all of the
network interfaces, and at least some of our processes died with bus
errors (i.e. no errors or exceptions reflected up to the Python level,
just a crash).

This is just my initial looking into this.  Seeking opinions of the form,
say:

Yeah, that happens, don't reset the network interfaces.
Yeah, that happens, and you can prevent the crash by doing X in your OS.
Yeah, that happens, and you can prevent the crash by doing X in your
Python code.
That wouldn't happen if you upgraded S to version V.
That sounds like a new bug and/or more information is needed; please
provide copious details including at least X, Y, and Z.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

DC
David M. Chess
IBM Watson Research Center