bus errors when the network interface is reset?

Kushal Kumaran kushal.kumaran+python at gmail.com
Thu May 3 02:53:10 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM, David M Chess <chess at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> We have a system running Python 2.6.6 under RHEL 6.1.  A bunch of processes
> spend most of their time sitting in a BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer waiting for
> requests.
>
> Last night an update pushed out via xcat whimsically restarted all of the
> network interfaces, and at least some of our processes died with bus errors
> (i.e. no errors or exceptions reflected up to the Python level, just a
> crash).
>
> This is just my initial looking into this.  Seeking opinions of the form,
> say:
>
> Yeah, that happens, don't reset the network interfaces.
> Yeah, that happens, and you can prevent the crash by doing X in your OS.
> Yeah, that happens, and you can prevent the crash by doing X in your Python
> code.
> That wouldn't happen if you upgraded S to version V.
> That sounds like a new bug and/or more information is needed; please provide
> copious details including at least X, Y, and Z.
>
> Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Never seen this happen.  Does it matter if your listening socket is
bound to all interfaces v/s bound to a specific interface?  From a
cursory look at the source, SocketServer.TCPServer (which
BaseHTTPServer is derived from) simply does a select, followed by an
accept.  Do any other server applications crash as well?

--
regards,
kushal