which one do you prefer? python with C# or java?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed Jun 13 14:00:48 EDT 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Tim Johnson wrote:

>   I concur, I worked in C and C++ for 12 years. I added C++ later in
>   my programming life. I don't recommend C++ for single programmers.
>   - that is to say - 1 coder for 1 codebase. One can do good enough
>   OOP in ansi C believe it or not, I learned to.
>
>   It is interesting to note that most of linux is written in C,
>   rather than C++ and is not python as well?

You are right, I remember this was explicitly stated somewhere on usenet
that Linux kernel was written in object oriented style and AFAIK this is
true (based on my own lurking into the source).

But I think C++ could and should be used by solo programmers. I just
suspect once we get past trivial stuff (defining class hierarchies, using
iostreams, containers and STL and the like), things get a little tricky
but I cannot say for sure because I am yet to go there.

I probably agree C++ should not be used by solo progs writing very big
programs, if this is what you mean. I am still researching alternatives,
but for such endeavour I would rather choose Haskell or CL.

However, I notice, for example, Boost C++ Library and their attempt to
recreate some aspects of functional language. This gives me idea about
what can be done in C++ - basically, the stuff is so powerfull it seems to
almost reach into CL-reserved realms. With limitations, because it's
different language, but still impressive for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_(C%2B%2B_libraries)

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/?view=category_Function-objects

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/doc/html/lambda.html

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/libs/bind/bind.html

OTOH, I guess there are performance penalties. So, it boils down to
individual's decision about pricing his own time or machine's time higher
than another. Like, hand writing specially optimised versions of some
functions or trying to lure compiler into generating them automatically
(with templates).

But, compilers are improving. In algorithmic contests, C++ is used quite a
lot, from what I could see (and some people use Pascal, compile with Free
Pascal Compiler, nice thing).

BTW, Java folks trie(d|s) to go this way (templates etc) too, but I don't
trace their efforts much, so cannot say how they fare(d).

> > - Common Lisp - "nice industrial standard" (depends on one's preferred
> > definition of "nice", of course, as well as "industrial" and "standard")
>   I took a hard look at Common Lisp at one time. I got the
>   impression that the "Common Lisp" is not to Lisp what Ansi C is to
>   C.
>
>   IOWS, there does remain incompatibilities between different
>   Common Lisp implementations.

Interesting. I play with CL for some time but haven't rammed this
particular wall yet. Do you remember more about it? If you can't be
specific, perhaps some hint will do.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola