which one do you prefer? python with C# or java?

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Tue Jun 12 15:41:04 EDT 2012

* Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> [120611 11:18]:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012, Yesterday Paid wrote:
>
> > I'm planning to learn one more language with my python.
> > Someone recommended to do Lisp or Clojure, but I don't think it's a
> > good idea(do you?)
> > So, I consider C# with ironpython or Java with Jython.
> > It's a hard choice...I like Visual studio(because my first lang is VB6
> > so I'm familiar with that)
> > but maybe java would be more useful out of windows.
> >
> > what do you think?
>
> If you don't know C yet, I second recommendation to learn it. It is a very
> 70-tish and 80-tish language, but it is still very relevant if you want to
> call yourself a programmer (rather than a hobbyist, with all credits due
> to clever genius hobbyists out there). There are things I would rather do
> in C than in any other language (like, writing a Python interpreter or
> Linux kernel - wait, what you say they have been written already?). Also,
> it gives one a way to handtune the code quite a lot (at expense of time,
> but this is sometimes acceptable), to the point where next choice is
> assembly (and results not necessarily better)...
>
> Later on, since C and C++ share quite a bit, you can gradually include C++
> elements into your code, thus writing in a kinda "bettered C" (compiled
> with C++ compiler), using constructs like "const" to make your programs
> more correct. And you will learn to not use "new" for variables, which is
> good thing. However, some C++ constructs include performance penalty, so
> it is good to not better it too much.
  I concur, I worked in C and C++ for 12 years. I added C++ later in
  my programming life. I don't recommend C++ for single programmers.
  - that is to say - 1 coder for 1 codebase. One can do good enough
  OOP in ansi C believe it or not, I learned to.

  It is interesting to note that most of linux is written in C,
  rather than C++ and is not python as well?

> - Common Lisp - "nice industrial standard" (depends on one's preferred
> definition of "nice", of course, as well as "industrial" and "standard")
  I took a hard look at Common Lisp at one time. I got the
  impression that the "Common Lisp" is not to Lisp what Ansi C is to
  C.

  IOWS, there does remain incompatibilities between different
  Common Lisp implementations.

  Whereas Ansi C is pretty strict as code portability (or was so
  when I was working in it)
--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com