Installing MySQLdb via FTP?

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Jun 8 13:36:02 EDT 2012

> Is it possible to install MySQLdb via FTP?
>
> 1)I have a hostmonster account with SSH. I have been able to log in
> and install MySQLdb from the shell. Works fine.
>
> 2)Now I have a client who wants to have a hostmonster account and we
> will need MySQLdb. I *will not* have SSH access since (as I
> understand it) hostmonster allows SSH access from 1 IP only.
>
> 3)The hostmonster account services (I.E. cpanel) does not have any
> service to do this.
>
> 4)I wouldn't need to make the install on PYTHONPATH as my resources
> will handle sys.path configuration.
>
> This isn't an immediate need so URLs and pointers to relevant
> discussions would suffice.

Why not just write a script that will install it for them and then
give them a copy of that script? Alternatively, have the client
contact hostmonster and have them install it; I imagine a decent
webhost would be able to do this manually if asked via email/ticket.

I would imagine that if you know where all the files go, it would
be possible copy all the files over FTP and have it work. Granted,
I am not familiar with installing this package so I could be wrong.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423