Installing MySQLdb via FTP?

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Fri Jun 8 13:55:23 EDT 2012

* Prasad, Ramit <ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com> [120608 09:38]:
> > Is it possible to install MySQLdb via FTP?
> >
> > 1)I have a hostmonster account with SSH. I have been able to log in
> > and install MySQLdb from the shell. Works fine.
> >
> > 2)Now I have a client who wants to have a hostmonster account and we
> > will need MySQLdb. I *will not* have SSH access since (as I
> > understand it) hostmonster allows SSH access from 1 IP only.
> >
> > 3)The hostmonster account services (I.E. cpanel) does not have any
> > service to do this.
> >
> > 4)I wouldn't need to make the install on PYTHONPATH as my resources
> > will handle sys.path configuration.
> >
> > This isn't an immediate need so URLs and pointers to relevant
> > discussions would suffice.
>
> Why not just write a script that will install it for them and then
> give them a copy of that script? Alternatively, have the client
> contact hostmonster and have them install it; I imagine a decent
> webhost would be able to do this manually if asked via email/ticket.
 No they would not. In fact, the hoster that I am trying to get my
 client away  from won't either. It would be great to find a
 dependable hoster that *would* do manually installs, but most seem
 to be a one-size fits all.

> I would imagine that if you know where all the files go, it would
> be possible copy all the files over FTP and have it work. Granted,
> I am not familiar with installing this package so I could be wrong.
  See the thread titled "Python libraries portable?" you will note
  that Corey Richardson makes the statement that MySQLdb is a C
  extension. I accepted that statement, but upon looking at the
  directories (I am on Mac Lion, but believe it may be the same for
  Linux) I see no binaries, just straight .py and .pyc files.

  *However* as it often turns out, I was barking up the wrong tree.

  A very nice gentleman (I presume) emailed me privately to say
  (I'm sure to save me the public embarassment because I should have
  though of it myself)

  "Ssh to your client and from the client ssh hostmonster"

   and therein is the solution. I guess I would have thought of it
   in the next few days whilst visiting the little boys room or
   mowing the lawn, but Kudos to Rod Person for his solution.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com