[Python] Re: PyPI question, or, maybe I'm just stupid

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Mon Jul 30 14:47:42 EDT 2012

> > However, personally, I am not interested in all the details (typically
> > found in "CHANGES.txt") but some (often implicit) information is
> > sufficient for me: something like "major API change", "minor bug
> > fixes". Thus, think carefully what you put on the overview page.

> I see your point.  I'm just lazy, I guess.  I already put a description
> of what I've changed into git, so why, I muse, must I also edit the
> overview page separately?  I was hoping there was an automatic way that
> "setup.py sdist upload" could handle it for me.

Even if you could include commit messages I would not recommend it.
Commit messages are for developers of _your_ package not users. It is
like leaving a memo (cough or message) for future developers.

As a user, I want to know that you added a feature AAA. I do *not*
want to know that in order to add AAA you also had to modify BBB
and create CCC. Maybe you had to revert BBB because it conflicted
with DDD and then you refactored some code and added/updated
comments. Finally you managed to fix BBB (maybe also modifying DDD?)
and so the feature AAA is now available.

Ramit