[Python] Re: PyPI question, or, maybe I'm just stupid

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Jul 31 01:54:05 EDT 2012

Chris Gonnerman <chris at gonnerman.org> writes:

> On 07/30/2012 04:20 AM, Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> I find it very stupid to see several window scrolls of changes for
>> a package but to learn how to install the package, I have to download its
>> source...
> Not sure I get this.  The installation procedure for PollyReports is
> the same as for, what, 99% of Python source packages?
>
>     sudo python setup.py install
>
> What else are you saying I should do?

This remark was not targeted at "PollyReports" but (in general) at packages
with non-trivial installation procedures which nevertheless
state on the overview page "for installation
read the separate installation instructions (in the source distribution)".

As a side note: playing well with python package managers
("easy_install", "pip", "zc.buildout", ...) could make it even
simpler than "sudo python setup.py install".