sys.path in python3.3

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 05:29:10 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> In article <503b3247$0$6877$e4fe514c at news2.news.xs4all.nl>,
>  Hans Mulder <hansmu at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> On 26/08/12 20:47:34, Nicholas Cole wrote:
>> It has been changed to
>>
>> ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/lib/python/site-packages
>>
>> You can find the path it's looking for in site.USER_SITE
>
> That is correct.
>
>> It would be nice if there were some magic code you could use
>> for "install_lib" in your .pydistutils.cfg file that worked
>> in both 3.2 and 3.3.
>
> As I explained in my reply that overlapped with yours, I believe you
> will find that 3.2 and 3.3 behave the same.   The difference is with 3.1
> (which is no longer supported); likewise, the same change occurred in
> 2.7.  So all of the current actively supported released behave the same
> way.  That's not much help if you need to use 2.6 or 3.1.

Dear Hans and Ned,

Thank you both for your answers, and Ned, thank you especially for
answering at such length.

I do love the things that are "documented if you know where to look."
I'm by no means a stranger to python's documentation, but I am sure
that I would never, ever have found it.  Now that I come to think of
it, I think I probably hit this when I first had a look at  2.7, put
in a sym-link and forgot all about it.  I suppose that now that 2.7 is
the default on OS X, I suppose it is time to move to the correct
directory properly.

Very best wishes,

Nicholas