Procedure to request adding a module to the standard library - or initiating a vote on it

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Aug 7 07:15:29 EDT 2012

Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> I'd like to request adding the module
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex
>
> to Python's standard library in the (near) future or to even replace the
> current 're' module by it.
>
> Personally I'm in need for fuzzy regular expressions and I don't see how
> to do this easily and efficiently without this module.
>
> For a long term project I also need some "guarantee" that this
> functionality will exist in future.

There has been a discussion about that particular module, and it would have
gone into 3.3 if it were not for the low "bus count" (only the author having
working knowledge of the code).

> So, is there a (formal) procedure for such a request or for initiating
> some sort of vote on it?
>
> I know there is a "Benevolent Dictator" for Python.
> Should I try to contact him personally?

I don't think that will help. From PEP 408:

"""
As part of the same announcement, Guido explicitly accepted Matthew
Barnett's 'regex' module [4] as a provisional addition to the standard
library for Python 3.3 (using the 'regex' name, rather than as a drop-in
replacement for the existing 're' module).
"""