Procedure to request adding a module to the standard library - or initiating a vote on it

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 10:03:51 EDT 2012

On 07/08/2012 11:13, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to request adding the module
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex
>
> to Python's standard library in the (near) future or to even replace the
> current 're' module by it.
>
> Personally I'm in need for fuzzy regular expressions and I don't see how
> to do this easily and efficiently without this module.
>
> For a long term project I also need some "guarantee" that this
> functionality will exist in future.
>
> So, is there a (formal) procedure for such a request or for initiating
> some sort of vote on it?
>
> I know there is a "Benevolent Dictator" for Python.
> Should I try to contact him personally?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
>
> Helmut Jarausch
>
> RWTH Aachen University
> Germany

My understanding is that the main stumbling block is there's no one
committed to being the maintainer of the code.  If that commitment is
not made, and I belive it's required to be several (10?) years, then the
code may never get into the standard library.  I'll happily stand
corrected if anyone knows any better.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.