Procedure to request adding a module to the standard library - or initiating a vote on it

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Aug 7 06:13:09 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'd like to request adding the module

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex

to Python's standard library in the (near) future or to even replace the
current 're' module by it.

Personally I'm in need for fuzzy regular expressions and I don't see how
to do this easily and efficiently without this module.

For a long term project I also need some "guarantee" that this
functionality will exist in future.

So, is there a (formal) procedure for such a request or for initiating
some sort of vote on it?

I know there is a "Benevolent Dictator" for Python.
Should I try to contact him personally?

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

RWTH Aachen University