using python in web applications

Alan Plum me at alanplum.com
Thu Sep 15 09:24:45 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-11 02:50, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> I replied to that one off list I guess, but I figured Django was way
> more overhead than I wanted, doesn't really fit with solving the speed
> issue.

Depending on your needs, you may find something like bottle or Flask a
better choice then.

Django can be scaled down a lot, but it's a full-featured framework at
its heart. Bottle is pretty minimal (IIRC it doesn't even come with any
templating). Flask is somewhere in between as it bundles Werkzeug (a
pure WSGI framework) with Jinja (a template library) with some glue code.

I have used Flask in the past but often found myself implementing half
of Django anyway, which is why I eventually switched. When I only need a
bare API with no database and without templates, I usually go for Bottle
these days.

If you feel like coding closer to the metal and care more about
performance than readability, you might also find Twisted useful.