using python in web applications

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Sep 15 09:42:33 EDT 2011

In article <mailman.1164.1316093103.27778.python-list at python.org>,
 Alan Plum <me at alanplum.com> wrote:

> Django can be scaled down a lot, but it's a full-featured framework at
> its heart.

You can pick and chose which parts of django you want to use.  You don't
need to use any of the Django model stuff.  You don't need to use any of
the template system.  You can tear out all or most of the default
middleware.  At that point, about all that's left is the route parser
and dispatch code.  The nice thing about this is that as you
incrementally discover which pieces of it you really do need, it's easy
to pull them in.

That being said, we've made a lot of use of Tornado for small
stand-alone web services with just a couple of routes.  In retrospect,
it's unclear if there's any justifiable argument for why we use both
Tornado and Django, other than hysterical raisins.