Need Windows user / developer to help with Pynguin

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 29 10:43:13 EDT 2011

Thanks to all those who tested and replied!

> For Windows users who want to just run Pyguin (not modify or tinker
> with the source code), it would be best to bundle Pynguin up with
> Py2exe

I considered that, but I agree that licensing issues would make it
problematic.

> the Python installer associates .py and .pyw files with
> python.exe and pythonw.exe respectively, so if you add the extension as
> Terry mentioned, it should work.

I think this is the best way to go.

> pynguin => pynguin.py

Would it be better to go with pynguin.pyw ?

Actually, I was thinking of just copying that script to something
like run_pynguin.pyw

Anyone able to test if just making that single change makes it
so that a user can just unpack the .zip file and double click on
run_pynguin.pyw to run the app?

> Win7, with zip built in, just
> treats x.zip as a directory in Explorer

So, is that going to be a problem?

The user just sees it as a folder, goes in and double-clicks on
run_pynguin.pyw and once python is running what does
it see? Are the contents of the virtually "unpacked" folder
going to be available to the script?

> You pynguin.zip contains one top level file -- a directory called
> pynguin that contains multiple files

I feel that this is the correct way to create a .zip file.

I have run in to so many poorly formed .zip files (ones that extract

all of their files to the current directory) that when extracting any
.zip I always create a dummy folder and put the .zip in there before
extracting.

Mine is actually called pynguin-0.12.zip and extracts to a folder

called pynguin-0.12

> Extracting pynguin.zip to a
> pynguin directory in the same directory as pynguin.zip, the default
> behavior with Win7 at least, creates a new pynguin directory that
> contains the extracted pynguin directory.

So, windows now creates the dummy folder automatically?

Is the problem that the .zip has the same name (minus the extension)?

Would it solve the problem to just change the name of the archive
to something like pynguin012.zip ?

> README => README.txt

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you double-click the
README sans .txt? Does it make you choose which app to open with?