Need Windows user / developer to help with Pynguin

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 28 00:16:30 EDT 2011

On 10/27/2011 3:38 PM, Lee Harr wrote:

> I develop the free python-based turtle graphics application pynguin.
>
> http://pynguin.googlecode.com/
>

> Lately I have been getting a lot of positive comments from people
> who use the program, but I am also getting a lot of feedback from
> people on Windows (mostly beginners) who are having trouble
> getting the program running.
>
> I don't use Windows myself, though I have found access occasionally
> to fix bugs. I just don't know enough about Windows culture to be
> able to make a reliable method for installing or running the program.
>
> The method that I wrote for Linux also works on Windows, but it has
> to be run from the command prompt.
>
> I am hoping someone can look at what is there and come up with a
> reliable method or a simple set of steps that people can follow to get
> up and running. Hopefully without having to resort to the command
> prompt.
>
> I started a wiki page here:
> http://code.google.com/p/pynguin/wiki/InstallingPynguinOnWindows
> but I can't even test if it actually works....

In my experience, double clicking on x.zip should open the zip in the
zip program (xp) but not actually extract. Win7, with zip built in, just
treats x.zip as a directory in Explorer, with no external program required.

You pynguin.zip contains one top level file -- a directory called
pynguin that contains multiple files*. Extracting pynguin.zip to a
pynguin directory in the same directory as pynguin.zip, the default
behavior with Win7 at least, creates a new pynguin directory that
contains the extracted pynguin directory. So one has to run
pynguin/pynguin/setup.py. In other words, there is one level too many.
People can erase 'pynguin' from the target list to avoid this. (I am not
sure 7zip on xp has the same default.)

*You would make things easier, at least for Windows users, if you added
the proper extensions.
pynguin => pynguin.py
README => README.txt
etc for other text files.

If you are using setup.py, I do not know of any alternative to using a
command prompt. But do tell people to find it with Start/All
Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt. Then two choices that I know of.

1."cd dir", where dir is the path to the directory containing setup.py.
Of course, for "python setup.py install" to work, people must have the
Python installation path python-dir in the PATH environmental variable,
which it will not be unless they put it there. Without that,
"python-dir\python setup.py install" is required.

2. "cd python-dir" followed by "python pynguin-dir\setup.py install"

I may have missed something, but I do not actually run many Python apps.
One I have used (renpy) makes separate installers for Windows, *nix, and
Mac. As I remember, is does a standard Windows installation with one of
the free installers, asking where to put the files and if Start menu
icons are wanted. I ran it with a desktop shortcup to the main program.

The new disutiles2/distribute/packaging package plus a new python
launcher for Windows should make things easier within a year, by the
time 3.3 is out.

For the occasion library package, I prefer to directly extract to
site-packages.

--
Terry Jan Reedy